Thursday, December 17, 2015

Update On Melted Charger

I texted my vendor from Alibaba, "I have some bad news." Less than a minute later, she replied asking me what I was referring to. Quick response time. Can't say correspondence isn't good from Linda over at Chinae Health (not a typo).

She agreed to send me a new replacement charger. This time it would be a smart charger that limits overcharging. Haven't confirmed that's necessarily the issue here, but she shipped it out that night (daytime in China) so no complains as far as that goes. At least I'm getting responses and they're trying to make it right.

In my conversation with her, I was disappointed to learn that the unit I received was not one manufactured by them since it was shipped from NJ. It was actually a sample unit that their company had purchased to test the US market. Not good. The whole reason I bought from Chinae Health is b/c I trusted their company and "their" products. Very disappointing to learn that the unit sent to me wasn't even from them!

WHAT NOW?
I've reached out to some people I consider experts in the field of electronics:

  1. modifiedelectricscooters forum 
  2. endless-sphere forum 
  3. cruzincoolerupgrades owner 
There are particular people I'm hoping will respond to my thread regarding this melting adapter issue. I haven't heard from them yet, so I may reach out to them via Personal Message on the forum to seek their assessment and advice on my situation. 

Until then, I may test ride the hoverboard outdoors just to see if it still works. I'm far from being an expert in electronics, but my understanding is that if the controller is broken or faulty, the hoverboard won't run at all. However, testing hoverboard to see if it runs doesn't verify that the battery is still good. A faulty battery can still operate but be unsafe. 

I'll most likely watch some YouTube videos about taking this thing apart (just the shell) so I can see the battery and the parts inside to note if anything looks out of the ordinary. I've never done this so I'm not sure what I'm looking for other than a bulging battery and/or melted wires. 

I still suspect that the unit is still good (or maybe I'm just hoping) and that it's just a problem with a weak charger. 

CHARGERS MELT ALL THE TIME?
Not necessarily, but in my quick internet search, I came across many Apple laptop chargers melting at the connection point (not the brick itself like in my case). So melting isn't unheard of for even companies as legit as Apple. HP apparently had some instances of melting chargers too. I'm sure there are countless others. 

I read from DOGMAN (a moderator at one of the e-bike forums) about how poor quality soldering inside the charging adapter can cause things to melt. It doesn't do damage to the unit it's charging, but needs to be fixed or replaced. I don't have the expertise or the trust in myself to fix it or even think about that, so definitely replacing it. 

I just need some reassurance from those that know way more about this stuff than I do that it's okay to continue using the hoverboard. 

WORSE CASE SCENARIO: 
I'm buying a 3rd generation hoverboard from Miberitech. 




No comments:

Post a Comment