Wednesday, July 25, 2012

HID's Here I Come!

I took the plunge. After hours of research over the past year, I finally decided to go ahead and do it. I'm getting HID headlights. I've read about all the issues people have had with Ruckuses and Vino's and I think I've figured it out. As long as I have a relay to the battery, I think I'm good. 


WHERE TO BUY: 
The price of HID's have dropped a ridiculous amount in the past years. I had purchased a used hi/low kit for my Toyota Rav4 and that cost me $250. Nowadays they're way cheaper and some can be had for as low as $25 shipped on ebay if I remember my research correctly. Since there's a high chance that the kit won't work on the scoot due to the power consumption at startup in lighting up the ballast, I wanted to get something that's at least been tried and talked about on the forums. Price of course was also an issue. I finally decided on DDM Tuning.

WHICH KIT?
Of my choices btw the high/low kit and the just low beam kit, I took the latter. The question was whether I should: 
  1. Purchase the hi/low kit with the include harness
  2. Purchase the low beam only kit w/o no harness and buy a relay harness separately. 
I called DDM Tuning to clarify if the harness included with the hi/low kit is the same as the one sold separately. They're not. I still wasn't able to clarify if the one that came with the hi/low kit was a relay harness at all or just a regular harness for upgrading wiring. 

I ended up getting the low beam only kit. This provides two advantages:
  1. It's more likely to work since I know for sure the harness I bought separately is a relay one. 
  2. I can hook this up to my high beam, making my low beam switch act as an off switch for the headlight.
An issue people were having getting the HID's to work on a scoot is that it takes too much power to light up the ballast while starting the vehicle. Since I'm using the hi/low beam switch as a on/off switch, I can start the scoot w/o the headlight automatically turning on (just turn on the engine while the headlight is in the "off'"/low beam"position).

This is all theory until I can install it. DDM Tuning is based in San Diego, so it shouldn't take long for my package to arrive. I'm hoping to have this up and running sometime next week. Then we'll see if any of the three risks occur: 
  1. HID doesn't light up at all. 
  2. HID lights up but flickers and doesn't stay on. 
  3. HID stays on long enough for me to get going but uses up too much battery and my scoot dies. 
 Not sure which I'd prefer, but all three cases would require a different response. Hopefully I'll never have to get there. Wish me luck b/c if this works, I can start the projector headlight conversion! First published one of it's kind on a Vino 125!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment