Saturday, July 7, 2012

LED Signal Lights!

I don't know why I nor anyone has thought of this sooner. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I've never seen this idea done before. What's the idea? 

Hook up amber colored LED light strips to the underside of the scoot (or car) and hook them up to your turn signal wires. The idea is to have a glow of orange on the side of the ride when the turn signal is engaged. It makes the scoot more visible from the side and hopeful improves visibility from the rear as well. 

Materials and tools are both pretty simple. 
  • LED light strips from ebay (a pair for $9) 
  • Quick splice connectors ($2.49 + tax)
  • Philips screw driver 
  • Ratchet set (to remove rear trunk rack) 

Although you could splice the wires visible from underneath the scoot's side panels, it's easier to work with if you remove the side panels all together. To get access to the top philips screw, you have to remove the rear rack using the ratchet set. 

The LED strips have a gold wire (positive) and silver wire (negative). As long as they're spliced positive to positive (gold to grey/green), you're good to go. Do it the other way around and there's a chance the LED's will get busted and never work again. Make sure the polarity is correct. 

Step 0: Remove the rubber foot plate to get access to the battery and remove the positive terminal. We want to be safe here.
Step 1: Remove the trunk rack (to get access to the screw that holds the plastic panels).
Step 2: Remove the plastic panels (there are three philips screws holding it in place)

Step 3: Identify the positive and negative wires. 

This is a photo f the right side of the scoot. 
Green wire = Positive
Black wire = Negative. 

Left side of the scoot has different colored wires. Just know the colored one is the positive one. 
Grey wire = Positive
Black wire = Negative.

Step 4: Using the quick splice or whatever method you want, splice the positive LED wire to the positive signal wire. Do the same with the negative. 

Step 5: Reconnect the positive end of the battery terminal, put the key in and test the turn signal.

Step 6: Decide where you want to mount the LED strips. Clean the area well and tape it on using the included 3M tape that's on the back of the LED strips. I was testing different locations and figured under the seat might be a good place. I don't get the glow effect on the ground that I originally wanted, but it looks cool and is very visible from the rear. 

I'm still waiting for the sun to go down so I can get a better idea of how effective it would be in lighting up the ground. Updates to follow after sunset.

Step 7: Put the panels back on. 

Step 8: Show it off at night.

Step 9: Go online and tell me how it went. 

UPDATE: 12:37am
I decided not to mount it under the seat like in the pic above. The white color of the LED's when not turned on is an eyesore. I was hoping to find something in black. No luck. If I'm ever able to find an amber lit black strip, I'll put them back there.

For the time being, I placed the LED's at the bottom of the side fender. It lights up the engine components on both sides. It lights up the ground fairly well, but not as good as the more expensive LED strips. I probably should've gotten those instead of the cheapo $9 ones. Being that the scoot's going up for sale soon, I figure I didn't want to spend too much more money on this.

Another safety mod completed!
 

1 comment:

  1. Nice Job. I am working on mounting access lighting under side my Vino but with a separate circuit with rocker on/off switch. Between where did you buy the asian style Tail light and turn signals?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete