Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Projector is Back

It's been a couple years since I explored the projector retrofit. I wanted to see what's new on the market and look what I found! 

Built-in projectors! Wow! I was cool until I found out the pricetag on this puppy. Guess! Hahaha, $1,900. Yup, that's right. Nuts huh? So I guess that's not an option. I still need to eventually sell this scoot with the cool conversion and I'll never get my money back with a mod priced like that. Crazy. Can't see how manufacturers would actually expect to sell any of those. 

I found it on a forum that mods the Atom Mugen - a $190,000 roadster. Even those owners don't buy headlights like this. Crazy. 

I hate to give away my cool plans before it comes into fruition, but it's nice to dream a little. It'll be interesting to see if any of this even works out. Wondering already if the end product will look anything like what I have in mind. If the HID's don't work, I probably won't go much further in the headlight mod and it'll just end there. Not sure. It might be worth trying out this halo with regular halogens. It might look a bit funny though. Never seen a halo w/o a projector. The light reflecting from a halogen would flood the halo, right?

What's making me shy away from this even though it looks pretty cool is the double halo effect. If I end up upgrading it to a projector, I'd want one with a halo. A projector alone just looks funny. But at the same time, a halo projector with a larger halo around it would be so redundant. Not really a fan of that. I guess I could always leave the large halo ring off. But in that case, I may as well save some money but getting a non-halo reflector housing to start with. Ugh. Definitely gotta think more about this.

It's tough b/c I'll have to have the projector in hand before even knowing whether or not it will fit in the halogen reflector. Chances are I'm getting it from ebay, so there's no returns. Don't really want to waste $55-65 if it ends up not work - expensive lesson. 

I'm afraid if this project works out, I may not want to ever sell the scoot! It'll be the first published Vino 125 with a halo projector headlight! Now one of you reading this is going to beat me to it, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment