Saturday, November 6, 2010

Cheapo Headlight Modulator

So the headlight thingy finally arrived in the mail last night. It's an LED light designed to be strapped to your head to help you work in the dark. I managed to get it on the scooter! So technically this isn't a headlight modulator mod. It's just a blinking LED light mounted underneath the existing headlight in a place that looks clean.

This is how it's supposed to look like when it's done. It would've fit perfectly in the oval shaped opening but I have to mount it higher to get access to the switch. I took the LED light apart to see if I could reroute the switch, but wasn't able. This will have to do.









I used one of the silver horn brackets I had laying around to mount the light to the base of the OEM scooter headlight. The silver bracket is just under 1" wide and about 3" long with a hole on either end. To get this mounted like this, I had to remove a couple pieces to get access to the bronze screw you see here.








I took out the screw that's used to adjust the leveling of the OEM headlight. Here it is being removed.












Here's all the pieces once taken out. There's a screw, nut bracket and spring.














I'm so glad this all worked out. The light was $2.08 from ebay but I already had some credit. Ebay likes to give away money to it's customers so I used the credit and got this light! It took awhile to come in the mail, but it was all worth the wait. This is the best safety mod next to the rear brake light modulator.

My intention as with all mods is to make it look stock. I want it to have as clean of a look as possible so it's as if it came like that straight from the factory. It doesn't stand out at all!







Same thing but at an angle. I like how the contour of the gap aligns with the curve of the light. It's like it was built for it! As an LED light, I'm hoping the three AAA batteries will last awhile. The only way to replace the batteries is to remove the chrome headlight housing. It's only 3 screws, so it's not a big deal anyway.




Here it's quite flush with the opening in the chrome housing. I really would have loved to mount it lower so that there's zero gap, but accessing the light switch would have been a problem. I even considered that using my scooter key to slip into a narrower gap could turn the switch on/off, but I was worried that would be more of a pain than the aesthetic is worth. I might change my mind, but for now, it looks fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment