Friday, August 3, 2012

More Options

I don't have much choice out there, but I've only got two choices from what I've been reading:
  1. Hook up a switch. Something than can handle 0.3amps is what I vaguely remember reading. Oreilly's should be able to help.
  2. Maybe the guy in the Youtube video meant 4700uf 35v capacitor - not 470uf 35v capacitor. I was reading this forum and a guy used 4700uf 25v on his car for a pair of HID's and it worked! http://www.hyundai-forums.com/224-tucson-ix35-lm-models/138018-hid-harnesss-relay-buzzing-sound-2.html. If this is really the solution, this would be the third one I buy! I might actually buy two instead I pop another one. I'm still not sure was the polarity is on the wires. I'll call up DDM Tuning to let me know. In the meantime, I'm going to order a voltmeter which I can use on other projects.
  3. Swap the polarity. At first I thought if the polarity was wrong, it wouldn't turn on at all. But I'm reading reports that reversing the polarity on a flickering system sometimes does the trick. Hmmm. I'm trying that now.......wait, I'm reading more and my first hunch was right. Only change the polarity if the light doesn't fire up.
  4. Replace the relay with a 60amp one.
  5. DRL relay or other method. I keep ignoring the day time running lights threads in various forums, but it only just occurred to me now that technically the scooter does have daytime running lights since they cannot be turned off w/o turning off the scoot's engine. Hmmmm.
  6. I just read that maybe my capacitor is in the wrong place. Some say it can go directly on the relay and connect the negative to the positive like I have. Others say to do it in line of the relay meaning wires have to be tapped.  
  7. Add a ground wire to the negative wire of the HID kit going into the stock headlight connector like this guy: http://corolla9.com/index.php?/topic/86-diy-disable-the-annoying-drl-flicker-with-hids/
After about 4 hours of research I'm convinced that the scooter in fact does act like daytime running lights. Cars with this feature have the same problem with the flickering. This guy explains it very well with his diagrams:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=120616.0

Looks like I'll be back to Radioshack yet again. This time I'm getting 4700uf 35v ones (one for backup).

No comments:

Post a Comment