Saturday, August 4, 2012

Understanding the DRL Issue

I've been doing what everyone says to do online about the flickering lights, but it wasn't until just recently that I've gotten so much info on this that I'm actually starting to understand what's going on and why. 

Having the relay harness is recommended for systems that don't get enough voltage to power the HID's. The relay harness gets power straight from the battery and provides that needed power. That's not my issue though, so the relay harness wouldn't really help. 

My problem is more similar to the daytime running lights setup that flicker people have. Although the relay harness provides constant higher voltage directly from the battery, that doesn't change the fact that the signal coming into the system is still pulsating as like most DRL systems. 

I'm thinking outloud here, but I think my capacitor still wasn't big enough and wasn't covering the gap in the pulsating signal. The idea behind the capacitor is that it stores enough of the energy and discharges it during the gaps. I'm guessing the smaller capacitors I've been using aren't covering enough of the gaps. Or at least that's my understanding. 

I just came back from buying a whopping 4700µF 35w capacitor so maybe that mother will take care of the problem. Crossing my fingers. Gotta get dinner now.

No comments:

Post a Comment