Monday, October 4, 2010

Mileage calculation #1 - Chevron gasoline

I had never calculated my mileage and just assumed that I was getting around 80mpg. I figured it's got to be less than what Yamaha advertises. It's probably 96mpg as described on their brochure only under ideal conditions of flat ground going 20mph with a rider who's 4'10" and 84lb's.

The 76 station I usually go to had put up new signs,

Cash Only Please

Cash only at a 76 gas station? Are you kidding me? I'm trying to keep an ongoing record of my actual costs so I much prefer to keep expenses on my card. I ride further down to the Chevron where they will gladly accept my plastic.

Since I never ride until it's empty, I'm constantly fulling up less than 1 gallon.

Odometer reading at previous fillup: 2565 miles
Odometer reading at current fillup: 2627 miles

Number of gallons on this fillup: 0.795

Get ready,
(2627-2565)/0.795 = 103 mpg! (Miscalculated. It's 78 mpg)

OMG! I'm getting more than 7% more mileage than what's advertised! Three digit fuel efficiency! I can't believe it! I ride this thing fairly hard too with tons of stop and go all over the city. This is nuts. I even took a couple passengers around a few blocks the other day and the mpg is (can I repeat it?) 103 mpg with Premium 91 octane gasoline!

So happy. That made my day b/c lately I've been feeling that I was filling up more often than I should. I guess that was all in my head b/c I'm getting a calculated 103 mpg! 103 mpg! 103 mpg!

Just for fun, let's compare this to the car:

My 2005 Mercedes c230 Kompressor (normally 28 mpg combined street and freeway) got 18 mpg last time I filled up after mostly street driving.

103/18 = 5.72
The scooter is more than 500% more efficient. Excellent.

Scooter riders aren't smiling at the gas stations. They're laughing. Though the tank is only a measly tiny 1.3 gallons, it's still weird to think I'm out of there after paying $2.48 for regular 87 octane unleaded.

No comments:

Post a Comment