Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Joe Rocket Atomic 3.0 Jacket - Size Small

The availability of motorcycle jackets on the market is pretty overwhelming. I remembered the first time I tried on the older version of this jacket at a motorcycle shop and loved it. That was 10 yrs ago. A decade later, it's finally in my garage.

My friend recommended a light weight textile jacket to wear in all seasons. Only two factors brought my decision to choose this jacket over the rest. Price and visibility. New Enough, a family owned online retailer bought all of the stock of last year's model (Atomic 4.0 is available for this year) and started selling them for a deep discount. The normal price of $135 dropped to $70. Even competitor's prices are at about $100. After reviewing the following considerations, I snatched it up for $80 after shipping and tax. In no particular order,

1. Armor:
I tried a few at Cyclegear and found the Joe Rocket jackets had the strongest padding in the shoulders, forearm and back.

2. Fitment:
Cyclegear only had the Joe Rocket Nova, so I fit it on for size. Small was perfect. Snug enough to hold the armor, but enough room to wear something thicker underneath for cold weather days.

3. Visibility:
The pattern on the back is dramatic enough get keep the attention of drivers while the overall look of it is subtle enough to not shout, "I ride a motorcycle!"

4. Size:
Light weight is great for hot summer days, but still allows me to wear something underneath for colder weather. Thanks for the recommendation Jonathan! A light jacket also lets me squeeze it into the seat compartment which was important to me. Don't really want everyone knowing that I ride a bike. Hide the jacket under the seat and lock the helmet to the hook and I'm set.

5. Features:
At this pricepoint, there's tons of features that make it totally worth every penny. Joe Rocket designed a button on the vents that keep them open while in use so that air flow can be maintained. Straps on the sides, arms and wrists keep the jacket as snug as it needs to be. My all favorite inside wallet pocket zips up too.

6. Color:
The metro side of me has gotta color match with the scooter. After buying the blue and white one though, part of me wished I chose red. It'd make for a corny color combination of red, white and blue but a contrast would be nice for safety reasons. If I picked that route, I probably would have gone with an all white helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment