Thursday, October 14, 2010

Close call

As I'm heading into an intersection, I have my head up with my eyes moving a million miles per hour scouting everything around me. Luckily I slow to a halt as I see a van not slowing down at his red light. He goes right by w/o hesitation. If I had maintained my speed, I would have broadsided him or worse - he could have hit me. I saw him in time that my stop wasn't abrupt and luckily there wasn't a driver behind me who could have potentially rear ended me.

Flash flash flash

Gotcha! The red light camera's the witness and this idiot driver should be getting a $450 ticket in the mail soon. Bastard deserves it.

Two more vans cause trouble today:

2. Another van earlier that evening decides not to turn left in the left turn only lane, but instead drives forward in my way. Again, I'm lucky that my habit is to look to confirm that people are doing what they're supposed to be doing on the road.

3. A third van with Oregon plates decides to roll through every stop sign and cut off every driver (two) on a one lane in each direction double solid yellow line street. I stayed back as far as I could. He took his time parallel parking when he finally got to his destination so obviously not in a hurry. He's just an idiot like the rest of them.

Gotta keep my eyes peeled for idiot van drivers. Seriously...

It's true that scooterists need to keep an eye out for vans. Lots of times (twice today), these drivers have more on their mind than driving. Little kids in the back screaming or a delivery that "needs" to be made ASAP. Sometimes it's just an asshole who thinks he's better than everyone else. It's all selfishness and entitlement, the two things that screw up this world for the rest of us. If it wasn't for my habit of continuously reevaluating my environment, I could have been toast.


LESSONS LEARNED?
1. Stay away from vans for three reasons. The typical woman driver can't drive. They probably have kids or a delivery and aren't paying as much attention as other drivers. Vans have a bigger blind spot.

2. Continue riding like I'm invisible and every intersection has no signals. The only way I can confirm someone won't be driving directly in front of me is to see them stopped at their red light or stop light. If I approach an empty intersection, you can bet your ass I'm slowing down to look both ways all while keeping an eye behind me anyone who doesn't feel like slowing or stopping.

3. The situation is inevitable. There will always be shitty drivers out there who shouldn't be on the road. I just want to be sure I'm either not around when they're being stupid or I'm well aware of what's happening either before or while it's happening.

4. I'm glad I signed up for the advanced rider course. Just waiting for the class to start - $125 should be well worth it.

Although scooter riding isn't as dangerous as I initially thought and I'm getting more and more confident each day I ride, it's still a scary world out there. I've decided there's absolutely no way I'm taking anyone on the back of my scooter for more than a joy ride around the block.


No comments:

Post a Comment