Friday, October 1, 2010

Decision on a two-wheeler

Since getting laid off from work, I've been reworking my finances to enable my unemployment income to cover all my monthly expenses. Running a frugal (some may say cheap) lifestyle so far has definitely helped make this possible. Although the commute to/from work is no longer an issue and I therefore no longer burn $300 in gas/month, I found myself still using about $170-$200/month driving locally to run errands and business/weekend activities.

Mostly all other expenses were fixed. The only room I had to play with was fuel costs. A bicycle wouldn't get me around very far. Though I'm a cyclist, regular uphills are a drag, street riding may be unsafe, routes would take much longer and bikes don't hold a lot of storage - not to mention limited room for a companion. If the purpose of getting a new vehicle was to save gas money, I needed something at minimal cost. Being that I've had my motorcycle license for almost a decade but have never owned a motor bike, maybe now was the time to consider getting one.

The costs were too high.

Motorcycles at at least $3,000 for a decent one. Making that money back through gas savings would take forever - longer than I'm anticipating being unemployed.




No comments:

Post a Comment