Sunday, October 17, 2010

Brake Light Modulator DIY Installation

First off, the installation is very easy. I am by no means an electrician of any sort. I just happen to have tools from working on a tricycle and other household stuff I try to attempt. I originally wanted to use t-tap connectors to splice the wires, but no one sold them! True Value didn't have it. Neither did Ace Hardware nor even Home Depot! I ended up going with the quick splice ones.

These are the tools you'll need:

1. Pliers (or really strong fingers)
2. Scissors
3. Quick splice connectors ($3.24 from Ace Hardware)
4. Screw driver with philips head
5. Wire stripper (you don't really need this)
6. Ratchet set with 10mm hex
7. Utility knife (I used the scissors in place of this)

First we need access to all the wires, so we need to remove the right side blue shell. In order to get access to that top screw, we need to remove the passenger handlebar thingy.







This is where the 10mm hex ratchet comes in handy. Remove the 4 bolts that hold it on (two on each side). The bolt closest to the front is longer. Make note of that b/c you don't want to put the wrong on back on later.






Once removed, just set this aside with the four bolts and washers so they don't get lost.









This green plug powers your right rear turn signal. Remove it from the blue shell so it's not hanging and in the way. Put the shell some place safe as to not scratch it. There are two other connectors. The wires we need to access are connected to the white connector at the very top. Notice there's one that has a hint of brown. It's not that one. Do not mess with that.




This is a copy of the instructions that came with the Kapscomoto Brake Light Modulator. I've highlighted the wires in the corresponding color on the Vino 125 to more clearly indicate how the connections are made for this installation.





It's this one that you'll be playing with. Disconnected it like I did here and you'll see three wires. Grab your scissors and cut the black plastic wrapping that surrounds the three wires. You're just doing this to get better access to the three wires inside. You should have at least 2-2.5" to play with. The black wire is the ground wire. The green one with the yellow stripe is the one we'll be cutting. Ignore the blue wire.



Cut the green wire leaving at least 1" sticking out of the white connector. Yes, really. Cut it. IGNORE THE BLUE WIRE. Cut only the green one. Next you'll splice the red wire on the modulator with the green wire shown on the right using the quick splicer. Do the same thing for the other side of the green wire with the white wire of the modulator. Finally, splice the black wire of the modulator to the black wire on the scooter.


I tried to clean it up a bit. Using 3m double stick tape, I mounted the modulator gizmo to the scooter frame. I ziptied the rest of the wires to get a cleaner look. If you use other types of splices, it'll look much cleaner, but for some reason I chose to use the quick splice type which is unfortunately much bulkier.




The mess here could have been done much more cleanly using butt connectors for pretty much a permanent connection or disconnects like the one below.





Why I didn't use these to begin with? I guess I mistakenly thought that I was required to connect wires through the middle rather than from end to end. I should have used these disconnectors (male on the left and female on the right) for a cleaner look and flexibility of removing later.


Before putting everything back together in reverse order, put the key in the ignition and switch it to on. Confirm that the rear brake light is on. Pull the brake lever to test that it indeed the brake light turns brighter and flashes before turning solid again.





TROUBLESHOOTING:

1. If the brake light does not turn on when the key is turned to the on position, check the wire connections. When I did this originally, this happened to me and I spent forever trying to figure out what happened. Just resplice the wires. Pinch the quick splicers with your strong finger or a pair of pliers.

2. If the brake light turns on and immediately starts blinking as soon as you turn the key to the on position and the brake lever doesn't do anything, then you spliced the wrong wire. This happened to me when I accidentally spliced the blue wire b/c I didn't know which wire I was supposed to mess with.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, you indicated that I could buy the brake light modulator from Kapscomoto for $20 total instead of paying Amazon's ridiculous shipping which would make the total $27 or so. I have PayPal. How do you order it through payPal at $20?

    Thanks,

    mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like a jerk for taking a year and a half to reply. I hadn't realized people actually read my blog. I didn't think to look for any comments. The prices on Amazon change all the time. It's been so long, so not sure what's happened since.

      Delete