Thursday, October 14, 2010

GPS

I was too cheap to buy a motorcycle GPS mounting bracket, so I would just do my best to memorize the route while keeping my GPS running in my pocket in case I needed it. I'd pull it out at stop lights to take a quick glance. Probably not the best idea. Again, it's not the best idea to be looking at a GPS screen while on a motorcycle/scooter.




After looking on the web briefly, I found a bracket normally priced for $30 for a discounted $4 shipped from my favorite online retailer - Ebay! Unfortunately after I arrived, I discovered that there wasn't enough clearance beneath the horizontal part of the handlebar stem to mount the bracket. I had to remove the handlebars! I already had the tools, but just needed the guts to do it. I looked up the proper torque and started my work. 4 bolts later, it was off.

The final product looks pretty good. I just need to remember to never ever look at the screen while riding. I'm relying on the sound which I have maximized to hear the directions. I'll glance at it during a stop, but NEVER while the scooter's moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment